Monday, October 25, 2010

A Lengthy and Largely Unnecessary Introduction

Greetings all,

This is just a little side project I'm getting started. A way to do some writing and musing outside of my work for the Claremont Independent, an exciting journal of conservative and libertarian thought in which I've recently gotten involved. I'm not entirely sure where this is going, but I'm really excited nonetheless.
 

Of course having my own blog to post rambling thoughts is essentially narcissistic. But I'm not pretending that I'll be uncovering any great truths. Epiphanies will likely be few and far between. Having this mouthpiece, however, will give me the opportunity to explore and develop my own views on issues as well. I'll be able to respond to discussions and debates much more quickly. And the freeform nature of the medium is really appealing (hence the Vin Scelsa quote at the top). 

But enough apologizing.

I've been getting a lot of responses about the article I wrote in the latest issue of the CI about the decline in post-secondary humanities education. It's the unfortunate nature of print media, but I really didn't have the chance to really dig my heels into the issue as deeply as I may have liked. As it was, I was way over my requested word count. Maybe there's a few blog posts in there. There are definitely a few misconceptions that need to be addressed. Thank you so much for all of the feedback, positive, constructive, or otherwise. This was my first venture into the world of publishing (not counting the time I arrogantly sent lousy poetry to around a dozen poetry magazines, and was almost universally rejected), and it's an intimidating universe. I'm lucky to have such a great role model in my sister, Dara Lind. At 22 she's already a blogger extraordinaire for a number of publications, a true expert in her field, and a genuinely awesome human being. Thanks, sis. 

I'm going to try to keep the lifecasting to a minimum, but that needed to be said. I know this intro post was largely a waste of time, but I would feel strange about starting without somewhat of an introduction.

Friends, please leave URLs of your blogs in my comments section so that I may add you to the right blogroll etc. Thanks for starting this off with me. 

Until next time,
-Evan


2 comments:

  1. Babysteps into the blogosphere, yay! Job well done on the feature article on your school's newspaper. Great stuff is ahead of you (especially with your sister as a role model!) and it's only going to get bigger & better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is already much more useful than mine...haha, and I've had mine since April? Oh well, maybe you'll inspire me.

    http://miscellanyofthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete